A guide to ceiling beams
A beamed ceiling highlights visible joists or beams which can create visual significance and bring individual style and elegance to your home. Beam ceilings are normally made from wood but can also be made from other materials or combination of materials. They can add attraction in an often-forgotten area and can change the entire room, adding warmth and depth.
Beam ceilings can give a rustic look to any room, nevertheless, not all architectural styles are built to for exposed ceiling beams. To make sure this type of ceiling can work in your home, we are going to give you more information about beam ceilings.
Types of Beams
There are many types of beams you can use when you opt for a beamed ceiling in your home. Here are some of the most popular types of beam ceilings you can pick from:
- Hammerbeams: This type of beam allows a lot of open space in a specific area. Hammerbeams are short, horizontal, and vertical beams that are connected to the walls in order to sustain the roof.
- Boxed beam: These beams are assembled in a waffle-type pattern. It looks like coffered ceilings in a square or rectangular pattern.
- Polyurethane Beams: This kind of ceiling beam is made of polyurethane which is lightweight and can also deal with earthquakes better than wood. This is a great type of beams for those who are not confident with their woodworking skills. They come painted and textured like real wood. (check out ours)
When it comes to the raw material for beam ceilings, there are numerous choices available on the market. They can be made of wood, metal, plastic, foam, or polyurethane. You can also pick from faux wood designs to real, solid wood. They are available in straight or arched, giving you alternatives to achieve the design you like.
The materials that you will choose to use in your exposed beam ceiling along with the finishes, will make a difference to the feel of a room. For instance, using metal beams can give a room an industrial finish, while using exposed wood beams can create a rustic feel.
Advantages of Beam Ceilings
Decorative beams can definitely add some significance to your home. And besides that, they come with a lot of benefits as well. Here are some of the benefits you can get from beam ceilings.
- Great for exceptionally high ceilings; Decorative beams can bring the range of the room down a bit while providing elegance.
- Can add value to your house: Beam ceilings create a spectacular visual impact to an area, and they can also add a special touch to your home. They can be made to fit a variety of styles as well. With these, it will definitely add reselling price to your home.
- Can improve the ceiling: Adding decorative beams to the ceiling can enhance several home designs, from farmhouse to Tuscan. You just should make sure that you choose a beam that works with the style of the room chosen.
Beam ceilings are definitely a strong design element which can alter the sense of size and height in a room. And no matter what materials and designs they are designed; they can surely add to the style and the apparent size of the space they officiate over. Hopefully, the information we provided will help you decide what kind of ceiling beam will be great for your home.